Friday, February 26, 2016

Gear Overview


https://lighterpack.com/r/8fs28q

I decided to put our gear together in a single list since some of the items are shared between Louisa and I and we haven't decided who will carry what yet. I also haven't included food yet since the amount of food we will carry at a time will depend entirely on how many days we plan to hike between towns. Worst case scenario will be the 100 mile wilderness in Maine, which will take about 5-8 days to complete.

There are some optimizations we can make to our gear and I'm sure it will evolve as we figure out what works and what doesn't. Our packs will be inevitably lighter during the summer months since we will be able to send some of the cold weather gear home (I'm looking at you, sleeping bag liners).

Also, I'm slightly concerned about the weight of our fuel canister. It's a 30 oz canister and after running the stove, I'm realizing that amount of fuel will probably last for months (not ideal). I'd rather have to resupply fuel once a week and save myself from carrying a non-trivial amount of weight.

5 comments:

  1. Louisa is bringing one pair of shoes and you are bringing two? -sniff- You make me proud -wipes tear-

    ReplyDelete
  2. No bear cans? 65L seems small for AT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, most people have a 51L on the AT. Only one section requires bear canisters and it's short enough we can just hike through it. The two places we have stayed have had options for storing your food (bear cables and a bear box)

      Delete
  3. Hmm, my reply didn't show up.

    I didn't know people take such small backs for multi month hikes. The ones I read about must be getting less food pickups along the way. I have been considering getting a Aether 85. They don't weigh much more but you can tighten side straps and make it basically a 65. You can always go smaller but never bigger...

    Honestly, I end up reading more about JMT/PCT than AT. So Had no idea there were not many bears on there. The other day I read some blog that said she was false charged by a bear on the AT so I thought they were more populated. I will enjoy seeing your progress. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There are a lot of towns along the way where we can resupply, and there are a ton of water sources, so unlike th PCT, we don't have to carry a gallon of water, 2L max.

      Delete